Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Livin' in London...

So I've been in London now for 4 days now, and in England for 2 and a half weeks. Jana and I had quite the whirlwind of a trip, which I enjoyed very much. I did well at tiring Jana out, that's for sure. I'll have to post pictures another time, though, because I've had a few delays getting connected to the internet -- they charge extra at the hotel, you see, and I'm still getting all set up at work -- I'm at an internet cafe at the moment.

Speaking of work, I've finally gotten started after a 2 day delay. The scanner, which was supposed to arrive last Friday so I could start on Monday, didn't arrive until yesterday afternoon. I still went in briefly on Monday to meet Richard, my contact at the library, but that only took about 45 min. Otherwise, I had the rest of Monday and all day yesterday to do extra sightseeing (again, I'll have to post pictures later). Monday I spent about 4 hours going around the British Museum -- very cool place...and free. Yesterday I got a bit of a treat. Not only was it the most clear and sunny of all days I've had here yet, but it was the State Opening of Parliament here in London and I had the luck of being able to see the Queen and her husband, the Duke of Edinburgh, riding in their very posh royal carriage, flanked by horsemen and armed guards, both to and from the Houses of Parliament. After that display of pomp and circumstance, I took advantage of the nice weather and walked around a bit. I went to St. Paul's cathedral, Oxford Street (London's equivalent of NY's 5th Ave.) and attended Evensong at Westminster Abbey (my way of getting to see inside the Abbey without having to pay the £10 entrance fee!).

So today it was straight to work so I'll have to wait till this weekend to do much more sightseeing. I'll keep you posted...

1 comment:

Iris said...

Yay for London!!! How long will you be there? =) Eat cadbury for me =)