Sunday, December 20, 2009

Oh, how lovely is England...

So, upon coming to my blog to actually write this post, I've realized how pitifully I've been at posting this year. Unbelievable! Well, I arrived in England only 4 days ago and have been having such fun adventures, I couldn't wait to post some pictures. I came over primarily for the baptism of John Atkins, a man I met on my mission who has been investigating the church for 15 years...I know... a LONG time! I was, needless to say, VERY surprised when I learned back in October that he had finally decided to be baptized, but absolutely thrilled! (His wife has been a member for a long time, so I probably wasn't as thrilled as she was...) Anyway, he asked me to speak at his baptism, which I was more than happy to do. His baptism was last Friday.

John Atkins and Ken Jones (Ken was bishop when I served in the ward)

me, John, Sue (John's wife)



Yesterday, I had the great privilege of attending a carol concert in a cave in the village of Castleton, one of my favorite places in the Peak District. The cave, Peak Cavern, is irreverently known as the "Devil's Arse" (a story I'll not explain here... ). Every year, in the mouth of the cave, people gather to sing Christmas carols with the accompaniment of a brass band. It was freeeeezzzzzing cold! But what a fun atmosphere! I've tried to capture it in a few pictures, but this will not do it justice by any means....

Walking up to the cave (it was hard to get a clear picture because of the darkness...)
Some festive people sitting in front of us

Some of the crowd

The cave entrance. You can just see the band in the lower left hand corner here

After the concert
Sarah, Mary, Sue, John

me, Mary, Sue, John


I found this icicle fascinating. It was about 2 feet long and thick!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

wow, Nicole!!! what a neat story/reason to go to England! Thank you for sharing!

Christine said...

I can't even tell you how shocked I was to see that you updated. It's a miracle actually that I even checked! :) Glad to see you are having a wonderful time in England!! And that is great about your friend's baptism! :)

Nicole said...

I know, Christine, I'm terrible!! Hopefully next year I can be better...